Richard Chambers, the president and CEO of the IIA, noted 5 defining events and their impact on internal auditing in the 90’s decade.
- Adoption of the Professional Practices Framework (2002)
- Financial Fraud and the Ensuing Corporate Failures (2002)
- Cynthia Cooper Named a Time Magazine “Person of the Year” (2002) – whistleblower at WorldCom (I had to look it up myself)
- Release of The PCAOB’s Auditing Standard Number 2 (2004) – which was then superseded by AS 5
- Global Economic Crisis (2008-2009)
Catch all his comments here. I think #2 is going to keep occurring with surprising regularity.