Below is a list of the top paying certs for 2014 (including average salary amount).
The list is based on the 2014 IT Skills and Salary Survey conducted by Global Knowledge and Penton, completed in October 2013.
After the list, I offer a few comments on some of the certs and the salaries.
1. Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) – $118,253
2. Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) – $114,844
3. Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) – $112,040
4. Six Sigma Green Belt – $109,165
5. Project Management Professional (PMP®) – $108,525
6. Certified Scrum Master – $107,396
7. Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE) – $104,240
8. Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA) for Citrix NetScaler – $103,904
9. Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) – $103,822
10. ITIL v3 Foundation – $97,682
11. Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA) for Citrix XenServer – $97,578
12. ITIL Expert Certification – $96,194
13. Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA) – $95,602
14. Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) – $95,276
15. Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA) for Citrix XenDesktop – $95,094
For survey details, go here.
Other Certs in the Top 25
The article also lists other certs that were in the top 25. Here’s the 2 that I found most interesting:
(A) CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional $114,287
(B) RHCSA: Red Hat Certified System Administrator $94,802
I added (A) & (B) so I could reference the certs below.
A Few Comments
A couple thoughts, based on my first reactions to the survey, as well as thoughts based on my past experience…
- What does this survey really tell you? What certifications are in demand in the US (remember, this survey occurred in the United States). Ignore the salary portion, as most of us are making less, some more. Averages are interesting, but that’s about it.
- I only know 2 people with such certs making that kind of money: CISM (#2) and MCSE (#14). Salaries differ based on locale, type of company, how long you’ve been at that company, other certs, etc.
- Having the CISA come in third shows the rising interest in IT auditing, which I highlighted in Top 10 Reasons to be an IT Auditor. Before you know it, IT auditing will become cool (ha ha).
- I have the CISA (#3) and I’m not making quite that much. Also, I’ve had the CISSP (B) for 8+ years, and when I made that much, it wasn’t due to the CISSP, but my management responsibilities.
- I was surprised that the RHCSA (B) didn’t make the top 15.
- I don’t understand the value in CRISC (#1) and ITIL (#10). Somebody help me out with this….
- I was surprised by the CEH. I’ve never seen much respect for that cert.
If you have one of these certs and you make the specified salary for it, or more, tell me about it.
Compare this list to previous lists I’ve written about:
Top 10 Pay-Boosting Tech Certifications (2010, Dice.com)
Top 10 IT Jobs (2010)