Have you ever been asked:
- What’s all the fuss about computer security? I don’t have any sensitive data on my home computer, and at work, I don’t have access to any sensitive data.
- Why would anyone attack my computer?
How do you respond? Here’s how I handle it.
CSO Simson Garfinkel notes that incorrect system time on your servers, clients, and devices (what I like to call “computer security clockwork”) can have the following effects:
- System logs are incorrect.
- Forensic investigations become more difficult.
- Scheduled jobs may occur too early, too late, or not at all.
- SSL certificate validity may be affected.
- Emails may be tagged as spam if they appear to have a future date.
- Electronic locks may open or lock inappropriately.