In Top 100 Network Security Tools, I described a few tools that every auditor or security analyst should know or know about.
Here’s a tool that’s not on the top 100 list, but is REAL easy to use.
Key point: Never use security or cracker tools on networks or devices that you do not own unless you have permission in writing. Get a GOOJ card.
[ W A R N I N G : The following link may be categorized by web filters as a Hacking link. This is a safe website, but the “watchers” at your workplace may not agree – BEWARE]
Netscan: Windows scanner; the best bang for the byte. Requires no installation.
[NOTE: This program was renamed SoftPerfect Network Scanner.]
- Detects your internal and external IP addresses.
- Scans for listening TCP ports and SNMP services.
- Retrieves currently logged-on users.
- You can mount and explore network resources (I don’t recall any other scanner that does this! When the tool finds an open network share, you can click on the link and open that share, right from the report).
- Can launch external third party applications
A great scanner to keep on your thumb drive!